You can find a rich and exciting history in the Sixth.
White Bluff / Coffee Bluff (Year Erected: 2019)
These markers identify four public waterways that were used by freed slaves during the 19th Century. They settled in the area after leaving plantations on nearby islands. Many of the settlers made their living by fishing or crabbing. Giving us all insight into the rich history of the White Bluff and Coffee Bluff areas.
-Parts of this taken from an article from WTOC
Nicholsonboro (Year Erected: 1978)
Nicholsonboro Community grew out of the turmoil of the last year of the Civil War and the first years of Reconstruction. General W. T. Sherman’s Special Field Order No. 15 reserved the sea islands from Charleston southward, plus abandoned rice fields for thirty miles inland, for freedmen in January 1865.
When ownership of the lands reverted, 200 former slaves mainly from St. Catherines came here and established their community in 1868.
Armstrong State University (Year Erected: 2019)
Armstrong Junior College was founded in 1935 by Savannah Mayor Thomas Gamble as a two-year college. It held classes in the donated former home of businessman George Armstrong, adjacent to Forsyth Park. In 1959, through the leadership of President Foreman Hawes and alumnus Frank Cheatham, Armstrong became part of the University System of Georgia.
White Bluff Meeting House (Year Erected: 1980)
Here meets the oldest congregation following the Reformed (Calvinistic) theological tradition in continuous service in Georgia. In 1737, 160 Reformed Germans came to Savannah seeking religious freedom. After working their terms as indentured servants the colonists petitioned the Trustees of the colony for a Reformed minister. In August, 1745 the Trustees acceded to the petition and granted a two-acre tract for the church and a glebe of land for the support of the ministry. The glebe land was officially granted by King George II in 1759. The first minister was John Joakim Zulby who also served in the Second Continental Congress.
Photo Credit: Jim Thomas
The USS "Water Witch" (Year Erected: 1957)
In May 1864, the USS “Water Witch” (80 officers and men and 4 guns), Lt. Comdr. Austin Pendergrast, USN, was on patrol duty in Ossabaw Sound. On the 31st, Flag Officer Wm. W. Hunter, CSN, assigned Lt. Thos. P. Pelot, CSN, to command a boat expedition designed to surprise and capture the vessel.